[seul-edu] An opportunity to showcase Linux locally.

As the current dialog goes on regarding Free/Commercial software and
what kind of desktop and apps to showcase, we have to face the issue of
today.

For the last six years I have been involved with science olympiad.  For
the last two, I have provided a website for the COunty Science
olympiad program.  Thanks to this work, this year I finally had the
opportunity to discuss computers with an  Asst. Superintendant for the
County Office of Education  (AS at COE).  I got him hooked by mentioning
the capital expendeture savings potential.  Now I have the dubious honor
to speak to the man in charge of the IT division at the COE.  I am
wondering how to approach the issue, I am being "presented" to the IT
guy with a "Bill will be calling you" conversation.

The issues are this. I am an x86 guy.
The COE is focused on MAC's.  I can probably find a box to configure,
and I can likely work out the setup.
I want to know how much of the software is "truly" platform independent,
and some good software titles to present and demo, if I get the
opportunity.

In conversing with the AS, his final concern is the same as any other
nontechnical  near-novice comoputer user.  He wants to turn on the box,
and find it EASY to use.

Thanks
Bill