(FWD) Re: [seul-edu] need detailed network advice

----- Forwarded message from owner-seul-edu@seul.org -----

Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 22:50:28 -0700
From: zeruch <mrzenn@precog.com>
To: seul-edu@seul.org
Subject: Re: [seul-edu] need detailed network advice

I cannot think of a single book that would cover all these with an
in-depth focus on each, but I canb recommend the following:

1. Running Linux from O'Reilly (which I have a few floating around.  I
can send you one) A very good generalist book that covers most areas
with a reasonable amount of attention (read: not exhaustive, but beyond
the cursory)

2. Practical Linux from Que. The successor to the 'Using Linux'book,
this one has 3 of its 6 authors fom VA, and they have all confirmed what
I wanted to know...all of the examples in the book actually work when
applied [ceteris paribum] ;)
The previous book was well known for errors in the examples.

3. Linux Firewalls from New Riders apparently is very good, but I have
never looked it over, so I cannot lay any blessing upon it...

4. A good 'save-your-ass' book that I've been perusing as of late is The
Linux Problem Solver' from No Starch Press. Considering how small the
publisher is, I am impressed with the quality of the book, from the
writing and editing of content to the layout and presentation.

My 2 escudos,

BTW, as a former SUN guy, NIS is evil, and NIS+ is evil+
Its about as pleasant as diaper rash.

----- End forwarded message -----