(FWD) Re: Fw: RE: [seul-edu] Comprehensive Student Management

----- Forwarded message from owner-seul-edu@seul.org -----

Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2000 07:44:42 -0500
From: Igor Tamara <j-tamara@uniandes.edu.co>
To: seul-edu@seul.org
Subject: Re: Fw: RE: [seul-edu] Comprehensive Student Management

I don't agree with you it's not simply the choice of an O.S., it' s a
philosophy issue. If you show your students some moral values involved in
the Free Software, you will be making a more human world, if your choice is
another O.S., you MUST tell them about the social impact of this.

Are we choosing software simply because we need it? Are we not thinking
about the world where our children will live? equality, open knowledge,
cooperation, among others.  Are not those values more important than the
software itself ?

Just IMHO.

"Michael S. Williams" wrote:

> I agree with Kevin on this. My job is facilitate the learning process
> not to ensure linux gets on the desktop.
>
> I am focusing on the back room and wiring closets because that is where
> linux shines.  I like the idea of a web interface because  I don't lose
> the money already invested in staff development.  We need programs that
> are up to date, functional and easy to use:  Student Mngmnt, Library
> Automation, Cafeteria Mngmnt and Accounting, hopefully SIF compliant( or
> variation thereof). This would pave the way for linux on the desktops by
> gaining the trust of administrators and teachers with functional, stable
> tools.
>
> I also don't think I would switch all my desktops over to linux even if
> I could, that would  limit the students exposure to technology on the
> whole. They need to be able to make there own choices. I could see dual
> booting and I love the idea of recycling old computers intoX terms, but
> for some reason I am not comfortable with "world dominance " of *any* OS
> ...or any other application  for that matter.
>
> Michael Williams
> Network Admin/Tech
> Haywood County Schools
> http://www.k12linux.org