[seul-edu] DTP standards (was: School Networking Guide)

On Sun, 3 Sep 2000, Ray Olszewski wrote:

> Bill and Manuel (and others) -- could I ask you to move the discussion of
> the format standards to its own thread? You're no longer discussing the
> School Networking Guide,

Sure

>and I am hoping to see on-topic responses under
> that subject heading (specifically, suggestions for the outline and offers
> to do part of the writing) once the holiday weekend (in the USA) is over.

I'll tell what I'll do. I still offer  my help in "Latex desktop
publisher"  in School Net guide if people  help.

About DTD discussion. If you can convince me my idea is essentially
bad or wrong or difficult, or you can provide a DTD  simple for
authors to write, then I leave "Leibniz-chunks" idea.

Reasons like:
- Everybody uses some sort of DTD
- Nobody uses those chunks
are not reasons. You have to demo the goodies of DTD/faulty of
chunks by their own internal properties.

When I say "you", I'm referring to the "DTD-people".

I've already lived "this discussion" in doc-sig of python. They were
proposing XML stuff for docstring and lot of discussion. You know
the result of it? There's no a true standard.

I've given lots of reasons about my chunk idea. A constructive
dialogue consist in analize/critize each idea one by one. About DTD
whichever it is, some have been given:
- difficult to write (xemacs, keywords)
- bothering with structure
- it implies write a lot of doc . You have to have the patience
of writing a large document.

It's easier to waste a minute of your time than to waste two hours.

I'm ready for constructiveness. But, to build things is hard,...
so you can expect a rough process.

Regards/Saludos
Manolo
www.ctv.es/USERS/irmina    /TeEncontreX.html   /texpython.htm
/pyttex.htm /cruo/cruolinux.htm ICQ:77697936 (sirve el ICQ para algo?)

  Bride, n.: A woman with a fine prospect of happiness behind her. -- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"