[seul-edu] [Fwd: Recovering lost partition table]

I found this on another list.  It looks to be useful, but I cannot vouch
for it other than the message.

Bill

-- BEGIN included message

A program that will give a guess on what is on a drive when the partition
table has been lost.  http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/user/76201/gpart

Today I saw a post where a guy had 4 drives.  He had tried DOS fdisk on one
of the drives to make it ready for Windows and the install failed.  When he
booted into linux, he found he was missing 3 partitions.  Turns out that DOS
fdisk repartitioned /dev/hda so that it now was one big /dev/hda1 Windows
partition.  Nice, huh.

Lucky fellow had /boot on /dev/hda1 and / was on another drive.  So he still
had linux.  I told him that if he could remember the size of the partitions,
he might be able to reconstruct them.  He did one better - he found the
above program and posted the results.  From there it was a simple matter of
using linux fdisk to repartition the drive using the sizes given with the
program.  It worked and he is happy - his PhD thesis due in November was on
one of the drives.

Looks like if the drive in question is the only drive on the system, you
have to put it on another system that has linux and use the program from
there.  Man, that would be a handy thing to have on a floppy.  I haven't
investigated the program, but it is something to keep in mind - although I
have my partition table in writing.

Anita

-- END included message