Re: [seul-edu] DTP Standards

I guess we don't have a lot to discuss then.

I feel that these docs have to be not only easy for authors to write (and as I
have said, I will format text given to me), but the docs have to be easy to find
(like a library) and of course well written and well organized.  These are the
MOST important part of the Doc Standards.  (Although, it makes sense to me to
have a standard liscence too).

I think for example it is useful that all docs have a title and are categorized
so that readers can find what they are looking for.  I also think if they have
Chapters/Sections/Appendixes (which are in the same order it is useful so that
people always know where to find certain info.

As far a chunk theory, and which is better, I'll default on this issue, I have
not thought about it and you have, so in this area you are much further along
than I am.  Perhaps if we can get authors to submit text files -- then the final
formatting can be done by you or me.

This is how I see it possible for us to make it easy on authors, and since your
chunk theory does everything and more than DocBook, then it doesn't seem to
matter much.  Perhaps we can get text docs and you can do the chunking and I can
do some DocBooking.

Probably I have missed the point again.  But this is how I can envision us
working together and making it very easy on authors.  (Basically we define a
standard text format and then we do the publishing).  I bet it wouldn't even be
to hard to write a little perl script to take those text files and convert them
into DocBook and chunks too I assume.

I'll have a look at the standard and see what I can do to make it text file
based (I'll have to think about reference to pictures, but that shouldn't be
difficult either).

Thats my vision.

Bill

Quoting Manuel Gutierrez Algaba <irmina@ctv.es>:

> You seem not to have understood my point. It's not about these
> guidelines or those. It's about making things the easiest. And
> any DTD or structured thing (LaTeX) is a burden. Any writer must
> bear that burden and face the job of creating several pages long
> doc. That's my point.

This mail sent through IMP: mail.tasis.ch