Re: [seul-edu] Cafeteria Software?

Hi Ryan,

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Ryan Booz wrote:

-->Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 21:06:49 -0400
-->From: Ryan Booz <ryanbooz@alumni.psu.edu>
-->To: Comp Ed List <seul-edu@seul.org>
-->Subject: [seul-edu] Cafeteria Software?
-->
-->Hey gang,
-->
-->This may be a little obscure right now, but I thought I'd ask.  Many of
-->you have probably figured out (if I haven't said) that I work for a
-->small private school of about 340 students, VERY rural PA.  Although
-->I've been getting many things set up this summer and all my Linux boxes
-->are working very well, a new question was proposed to me this week.
-->
-->We've been looking to get some software for doing the cafeteria stuff.
-->And there's plenty of it out there (for Windows or Mac).  However, it
-->obviously costs a bundle.  The cheapest we can get someone is $3000 for
-->the software, but that's because the also HAVE to come and do the
-->training for two-three days.  The software (if there are
-->building/district computer people out there, you probably know more than
-->I about this) will track each student, what they owe, what the costs
-->are, blah, blah, blah.  Point of sale stuff - in other words - a
-->glorified database.
-->
-->So, my question is, anything like this out there in open source?  I'm
-->guessing not for this particular situation, but anything that could be
-->adapted easily?  Man, talk about selling a school on open source... if
-->my principle saw we could do this with open source, he wouldn't know
-->what to do with himself!!  Any other suggestions from people that have
-->experience with this type of software?
-->

There is somewhere out there a Pizza Delivery system.... hold on a sec...

http://freshmeat.net/projects/gtk_pizza/?highlight=pizza

which could be adaptable to your particular endeaver.

Also if you have a budget you may wish to use cosource.com or
sourcexchange.com to round yourself up a paid (and therefore presumably
MORE dedicated) open source programmer to BUILD what you need.  Although
you seem to have a few dedicate programmer's already.... :)

-->Thanks a bunch!
-->
-->Ryan Booz
-->Tech Coordinator