Re: [seul-edu] Our documentation discussion

----- Original Message -----
From: Douglas Loss <dloss@suscom.net>
To: <seul-edu@seul.org>
Sent: lundi 4 septembre 2000 14:58
Subject: [seul-edu] Our documentation discussion

> I think I ought to say something here.  I hope no one has gotten
> the feeling that I'm trying to autocratically control this group
> (loose though we may be).  My initial response to Manuel was
> intended to try to keep this discussion of new documentation
> efforts from devolving into yet another discussion of first
> principles.  That's a very easy way to keep from accomplishing
> anything.  More than anything, we need to actually get some
> usable documentation into the hands (onto the screens) of the
> teachers who need it.
>
> Bill has put a lot of work into developing his guidelines and
> procedures for SEUL/edu documentation, and I didn't want to see
> it all thrown away casually.  SEUL/edu can't be a one man (me)
> operation or it won't function.  That's why I so valued Bill's
> work on the documentation--I just can't do that bit too.  If
> Bill wants to rethink the documentation effort I support him
> wholeheartedly, but it's his child to nurture and protect.
>
> I'd like to see others take over other portions of our group,
> too.  At one point someone other than I was handling the
> projects page, but he had to bow out due to the pressures of
> school and real life.  As a consequence the projects page
> doesn't get updated as often as it should.
>
> Our software listings are now just links to Freshmeat.  They
> used to be locally maintained, but weren't up-to-date because no
> one had both the time and the drive to maintain them.  I'd
> dearly love to see our own listings again (OFSET is doing some
> of this for free educational software), perhaps based on the
> listings from the Linux in education reports.

I'm up for the software page as long as I can present the data how I want
to.

I'd also like to see small - even just a few sentences - stories about how
teachers use the software in the classroom. This can just be a very brief
description of projects that people have done. This could be divided into
classroom use and home use.

Roman.