Re: (FWD) Re: [seul-edu] Comprehensive Student Management System

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Ray Olszewski wrote:
> At 11:34 PM 9/6/00 -0400, Chris Edwards wrote:
> >Ray, I was wondering where you came up with names?
> >
> >Ratchett and Legree both sound good, but where are they derived from?
> >It would be nice to know.
> >
> >BTW where did O'Brien come from?
> >All of these sound pretty good.
>

> Oh dear. I was being facetious, not really recommending these names (as I
> trust those who recognized them realized).
>
>         Legree = Simon Legree, the (literal) slavedriver
>                 from _Uncle Tom's Cabin_
>
>         Ratchett = Nurse Ratchett, the authoritation floor
>                 nurse from _One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest_
>
>         O'Brien = the representative of the Ministry of Love
>                 (or was it the Ministry of Truth?) who captured
>                 and brainwashed Winston Smith in _1984_.
>
> They all convey the same ominous tone that the phrase "Permanent Record"
> does (at least to people who went to school in the USA).

Ha,ha,... very good and sharp point of view.

> I was just playing
> out the thought that "memorable" names aren't always desirable names.

Ok, here is my list of words :

- Nmemotecnie : Inspired in a Greek muse
- Babylon Brick: Where the first records we're kept. Sounds good.
And it's related with good thing:space travels,... Boney-M (
By the river of babylons...)...
- Salustianum : It may render some problems, ...Salustius was
a Roman historian.
- Fahrenheit 123: Fahrenheit 457 is that sci-fi where book are forbidden,
and firemen burn books, people watch TV. I'm sure "students"
appreciate the joke of firing books, and many would read the book.
 Sounds good.
- Kids Alamos lib: Well, a bit nationalistic, but easy to remember.
Good acronym :KAL (which is not any terrorist group I can think of).
- Cetereor Censeo, memoranda est: CCME (spell it like sisi me).
Double sense with CC (carbon copy me, that is,  keep track of me).
 Adaptation from
Cetereor Censeo, Cartaghinem delendam est(Cato), IMO, Cartago
should be destroyed. IMO it must be remembered. It's very good, I know.
- Atenea's interested learning all your life. Spell it
as AI-LEARN-ALL.
-Not gone with the wind. NGWW. Sounds like a Radio station. Joke
with the film. And obvioulsy makes sense.

I'll spare you more of my hallucinations.

Regards/Saludos
Manolo
www.ctv.es/USERS/irmina    /TeEncontreX.html   /texpython.htm
/pyttex.htm /cruo/cruolinux.htm ICQ:77697936 (sirve el ICQ para algo?)

  QOTD: "If I'm what I eat, I'm a chocolate chip cookie."