Re: [seul-edu] [Fwd: Computers in the classroom]

gringey@sendit.sendit.nodak.edu wrote:

> I am having trouble in my new Linux lab with machines losing the
> signal to the monitor.  We are rebooting the machine to get the
> signal back, which takes 5-10 minutes.  In a 40 minute class this is
> some bad down time for students.  I don't know if the problem is
> Linux, our new computers, or our power supply is being stressed by
> the new machines.

I'll make some comments in the hope they may be helpful.

> Our machines:
> AMD Athlon (tm) Processor
> cpu MHz - 705

I'm curious where 705 came from. The Athlons come 700,750,etc.
The only time I every saw a slightly off MHz, the BIOS was old and
needed to be upgraded. This may also fix other problems.

> Using: Caldera2.4

Is this the 2.4 kernel. Caldera jumped the gun with a prerelease of
the 2.4 kernel. So far the 2.4 kernel has not been officially released.

> Memory on Server:
> Total - 124.9 MB
> Free - 4.9 MB
> Shared - 60 MB
> Buffer 26 MB
> SWAP - 252 MB
> Free SWAP - 249 MB
>
> Memory: workstations
> Total - 62 MB
> Free 5 MB
> Shared - 37 MB
> Buffer - 1 MB
> SWAP - 128 MB
> Free SWAP - 123 MB

Shouldn't the total memories be 128 MB and 64 MB respectively.

> We are currently changed from a 58K internet hook-up to 560K cable
> modem hookup.

Not sure how this relates.

>   I have never heard of this type of processor before.  How does it
> compare to something like Intel?  Would the machines cause the loss
> of signal?

AMD processors are good. Have never used anything else. Same MHz
an Athlon costs less and in general will out perform an Intel Pentium
III.
Reviews show the Athlon to be a good processor. However, it has a new
bus and the scramble to design a new motherboard chipsets for it has
caused some problems. You could go to the AMD web site
http://www1.amd.com/athlon/config and check if you have a recommended
motherboard and power supply. Also check if you have the latest bios.

>   We use Caldera2.4.  We have disabled the power management to
> prevent the machines from shutting down to conserve power.  Could we
> do something different to prevent the signal loss?

This doesn't sound good for any computer/operating system.

>   We have reached the peak amps that we can use on the circuit
> breakers in our lab.  Could power fluctuations cause our loss of
> signal to the monitors?

You could turn off all the computers except one or two. Does the problem

go away.

>   Is this a common problem for Linux in general?  I am new to the
> operating system.

Linux is generally pretty good. However I haven't heard anything about
Caldera 2.4 You could try a different Linux distribution on one of the
computers and see what happens. Maybe the Athlon requires the 2.4
kernel. I don't know. Again I would try turning off some of the
computers
and see if the problem goes away.

>   We are currently running our 30 machines as stand alone
> workstations with students logging in as a generic student and saving
> to disks.  Should the computers we have be difficult to set up in a
> server based network with students saving data to the server and
> accessing it by logging it at any computer in the lab?
>   I am very new to Linux and we are the first school in North Dakota
> to set up a school lab.  I don't have a concept of where I can dream
> and where I have limitations in the lab.
>   I would welcome any advice.
>   Gail

Bob