Re: [seul-edu] Linux in classrooms

On Mon, 25 Sep 2000, Emilio Gerardo Milian wrote:
> Yes, but my question is, that it appears to have two installations. and
> I would like to use the install that is there already. I'm thinking that
> the directory needs to be accessed by all users.
>
> In your case, it would seem that each user would have to install their
> own copy. We don't have space on the hard drive for that and don't think
> it is necessary. Please let me know if this right or if I'm missing
> something.

I have only ever deployed StarOffice 5.2 for a single user on his own
personal workstation and do not run a copy of it myself.  But at the
time that I installed it, I wondered if I could have set it up so his
wife could use it from her account too, without having to install her
own copy.

I'm thinking it could be worked around by a bunch of symlinks.  That is,
create ~/office52/ for each user, symlink all the "common" stuff from
/usr/local/office52/ and make subdirs in ~/office52/ for everything else
(i.e. where the user's files will go).  Then run the user setup once per
user to create the user-specific files for each.

However, the workstation is now a couple hundred miles away (dialup-only
access, which is a pain to remotely administer) and as I don't have a use
for StarOffice myself, I haven't tried it out.  If you try it and it
works, let me know.  I might be able to help this fellow out. :)

Ben