Re: Packaging edu software (was: Re: [seul-edu] [Fwd: Computers in the classroom])

Roger Dingledine wrote:

> I don't think the installer is the highest priority. I think if they
> were all packages, they would be a lot more useful to people both on the
> CD and separately. There are already plenty of front-end installers for
> packages. We need to find some people who enjoy packaging.
>
> I've tried to find such people for a while. I haven't found (m)any.

They have the same problem on debian-jr, plus the fact that they have to
"sponsor" packages to go into Debian.

> Perhaps Mandrake or ofset or osef would like to offer financial
> incentives?  Chris: is there a list somewhere of those programs that need
> to be packaged and the status of their packaging? Can we get debian-jr
> in on this too?

Here is an out of date table I made a few months ago:
ftp://ftp.linuxforkids.com/support/table.html

This was for the version 1.0 of the CD. I never got around to update it
or fill in the holes.

> Can I get an ISO of your CD and make it freely available from a seul
> mirror site?

Sure, except I can't send you a 100Mb email, nor ftp it to seul, since I
am only on a 56K modem. (Seems I live a few thousand feet to far from
the the local exchange ...)
Anyway, maybe I could snail mail you a copy of the CD.

Chris.