Re: Packaging edu software (was: Re: [seul-edu] [Fwd: Computers in the classroom])

Ben Armstrong wrote:

> And the WNPP is at:
>
>         http://cgi.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=wnpp&archive=no
>
> It's not designed around an RDMBS, and so cannot take the sort of general
> query that I envision it should be able to take.  It seems to be more of a
> problem than a solution.  My problem is that since the WNPP is in the BTS,
> how do I mine the data out of it that I need?

OK, I see what's up.  WNPP isn't the table I envisioned it being, which ought to
be doable through php and mysql.  I was thinking of something like a
status-tracking webpage that listed the applications, the packages and the
packagers responsible for them, and the status of each package.  So we might see
something like,

AUC   RPM--David Moore    DEB--Ben Armstrong
      v.7.0 Sep 29 2000   v.6.9 Sep 16 2000
      (requires xxx)      (requires yyy)

> As for the SourceForge suggestion, it is apparently being packaged for
> Debian (and therefore presumably by other distros?), and SourceForge does
> include a bug-tracking facility.  Hence, if SourceForge is sufficiently
> modular, you may be able to use just that facility.  Besides that there is
> also Bugzilla to consider (Mozilla's bug-tracking system).  These are
> probably both better-designed bug-tracking systems than BTS if you're
> starting from scratch.

Is a bug tracking system needed for this?  It doesn't seem to me that it is.

--
Doug Loss                 God is a comedian playing
Data Network Coordinator  to an audience too afraid