Re: [seul-edu] Linux inservice day

* Scott Brooks <scottbrooks@telusplanet.net> [020901 06:48]:
> My father is the assistant superintendent of the local school board, so
> I have started to talk to him to see if at the next teachers convention
> if I could do a Open Source in Schools presentation, or something like
> that.
>
> Does anyone know of any resources, notes, or any wizdom that would help
> make this presentation better.
[snip]
> 3) Wrap things up with about 15-20 mins of question and answer, hand out
> CD's with the windows ports of Open Office, The Gimp, Mozilla, etc.

At most of the workshops we do, whether on OpenOffice.org, The GIMP,
or Linux topics, we give out a CD that we compile.  We call it the
Linux.bz CD.  It has over 20,000 pages of Linux documentation,
including almost all the howtos and free books (all we could find)
plus man pages.  All of this is in html to be cross platform.

We also have the most recent versions of OpenOffice.org, Mozilla, The
GIMP, and several other helpful open source tools, like Putty, all in
their Windows versions, to help get them interested in open source.

To our knowledge, there's nothing on this CD that is proprietary, so
anyone can copy it and share it with their friends, or your teachers.
Let me know if you this might help, and I could send a copy for a
small charge ... unfortunately, in a developing country with very
expensive Internet access we can't afford to copy and ship these for
free.

Sounds like a great plan, though.

--
Jan Wilson, SysAdmin     _/*];          corocom@btl.net
Corozal Junior College   |  |:'  corozal.com corozal.bz