Re: [seul-edu] Help with k12ltsp

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Dave Prentice wrote:

Just a few things to try.

1) Install linuxconf from the 7.2 it should work fine apart from some
minor things which you most probably never notice.

2) Try to reinstall rpm -ivh Xconfigurator-4.10.7-1 and run Xconfigurator
again.

3) Configure your X with Xconfigurator. Use low resolution low colours
first. If you got one working save you XFree86-4 before trying to
any further. (/etc/X11/XFree86-4). On some of my machines during testing
of
the setting a gray screen followed by an error message saying that test
failed. When I started xstart it would work for me.

> Hello all,
>     I know this is properly a topic for the K12ltsp mail list, but I'm
> not approved for it yet and hope somebody here can help.
>     I just upgraded my classroom server, which was working very nicely
> as a redhat 7.2 standalone, to K12ltsp with redhat 7.3. In an earlier
> question I noted that 7.3 doesn't have linuxconf, so I don't know how
> to change configuration for anything.
>     I was also wondering why the machine will not start Xwindows. Do
> you have to sacrifice the ability to use your machine as a standalone
> when you install k12ltsp? I tried installing it as a server with no
> success, then redid the install as a regular workstation with the
> extra packages added. No success that way either. When I do startx, I
> get a message that no screens are available. I thought maybe it needed
> Xconfigurator to be rerun, but that gives a "segmentation fault" error
> and shuts down. It's a dual PIII 350 with about 400meg of RAM and
> 18gig hard drive space, a 17" NEC monitor and if memory serves (had to
> leave school early because of this approaching hurricane), I think
> it's an S3 video card with 2meg ram. Everything worked fine until the
> upgrade to 7.3.
> Any ideas?
> Thanks,
> Dave Prentice