Re: [seul-edu] Call for help

I had a database before, i think the USPS actually provides it. The
zip code thing is cause I envision a school putting in their zip and
getting a response back of people in their area willing to help.
When a volunteer signs up they put in their zip, and how many miles
(10, 20, 50, 100,etc..) they are willing to travel to help a school.
So if I have a school at 98665, and Bill at some zipcode 70 miles
away (who had volunteered to travel upto 100 miles), it matches them
up, because the school is within bills volunteer range. The
timezones I dont think should matter, scheduling issues would be
between school and volunteer.

Jeff

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, tompoe@renonevada.net wrote:

> Hi, Jeff:  Can the zip code thing be done on an as-needed basis?
>
> Our project is directly related in one aspect to the zip code
setup you
> refer to.  So, will help with that, if you want.  Are time zones a
part
> of it?
>
> Anyway, if you want to have a volunteer help with the volunteer
database
> or anything, let me know.
> Thanks,
> Tom Poe
> Open Studios
> Reno, NV
>
> Jeff Knox wrote:
> > Out of the woodwork I come. The company I work for (consolidated

> > freightways) is going out of business, so I should be finding my

> > self with some time in the near future to help with things. I
feel
> > bad that the only time I really find to devote to working on
seul
> > and litc is when I find my self out of a job.
> >         I am going to really start working on the whole LUG
support
> > material project that we talked about so many LinuxWorld's ago.
> > want to get a material package going for schools as well, with
some
> > cds, instructions, some articles, etc. The problem in the past
with
> > that has been getting a sponsor to front a bunch of linux cds
and
> > other related material cost. cough cough redhat fork over some
bucks
> > cough cough.
> >         I also want to get going on the volunteer database that
> > have failed to start so many times. Im going to need some way to

> > find all people within a certain mile range of a zipcode, so
> > basically a zip to zip distance matrix, anyone know where I can
get
> > that. The rest will be simple php and mysql stuff. I want to
> > integrate it with a list of LUGs, so it returns LUGs and
Individuals