RE: [seul-edu] Progress on Linux in Portland Schools

On Sat, Sep 13, 2003 at 02:16:06PM -0700, Christian Einfeldt wrote:
> Hi, I'm an attorney in San Francisco who is volunteering to help
> OpenOffice.org (OOo) in its October marketing push to attract
> attention to the use of open source software, and particularly OOo in
> schools.

I have an interesting anecdote for your marketing push.  I work at a private
high school that has been a "laptop school" for several years, and just
moved the faculty to Tablet PCs.  The tablet version of Excel is not always
able to print properly.  My school has been working for better than a week
to get the patch that Microsoft claims to have.

What makes this applicable to OOo?  Well, to overcome the issue, I have
installed OOo and it prints all my old Excel files just fine.  (Of course,
those files are no longer .xls, but .xsc)

Just one more example of open source having higher quality.

(now if only I could convince other teachers to abandon M$ Office)

Mark Schmitt