Re: [seul-edu] Progress on Linux in Portland Schools

Greetings!

I'm also fighting this M$ Office as the only program to use (and the
teaching of keystrokes), but from the level of school board.  We are
installing an LTSP demonstration project at the Hartford Wisconsin Middle
School this coming weekend.  The students will have OOo 1.1 as their office
suite, and some open source tutor applications.  The biggest detractors of
this project are the technical staff, who only know Windows.

I believe that the only way to have a viable computer science program in the
schools is to go open source.  So far, very few people agree, at least in
our school district.  I hope the parents will appreciate the increase in
quality with the cost savings.

jeff williams - cfiaime@nconnect.net