Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 10:54:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: Mark Stone <markst@nanospace.com>
To: balug-talk@balug.org
Subject: Re: Chronicle full page on Free Software

On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, Don Marti wrote:

> The paper version of today's Chronicle had a full page on free
> software developers today -- articles on Larry Wall, Paul Vixie, Linus
> Torvalds, and Tom Paquin.  The section is on the web at:
> http://www.sfgate.com/technology/

This was the result of a day long summit on free/open source software
sponsored by O'Reilly. I was lucky enough to be in attendance, and I think
every significant deity from this pantheon who lives in Northern
California was in attendance. Besides the four mentioned above, other
notables included:
Eric Allman (sendmail)
Brian Behlendorf (apache)
John Gilmore (gdb, Cygnus)
Jon Ousterhout (tcl)
Sameer Parekh (stronghold)
Eric Raymond ("Cathedral and Bazaar")
Guido van Rossum (python)
Jamie Zawinski (mozilla.org)
Phil Zimmerman (pgp)

It was an interesting day, to say the least.

Mark Stone
editor, O'Reilly & Associates