Re: pub-whylinux

Erik Walthinsen wrote:

> > 3)  I would like to see some more tutorials in the development packages, and
> > make those more obvious.  Want to learn Java?  Get Linux.  What next?  Same
> > with C++, SQL, PERL, and any of a dozen others.  It's easy to start getting
> > peeved when you realize you can get the OS for $2, but need to shell out
> > $100 for books to learn how to use it.

> Hehehe... yeah, that's an issue.  I have a feeling, though, that the docs are
> all there, but their in funky formats, like info, which is almost as hard to
> navigate as vi without working cursor keys.  Given a single front-end to the
> help documentation, decent glue, proper searching, and tutorials, I think we
> can go a long way towards solving that problem.  But then publishers would
> boycott us... :)

YES!  I love it!  What a great application for Linux!  Especially with a
help system that can actually "do" things, this could really give
beginners a boost.

BTW, has anyone tried the IDE "Grasp"?  I downloaded it yesterday and am
starting to play with it.  The editor is OK...haven't tried the compiler
integration yet.  Supports Java, C, C++, Ada, and I think something
else...

--
"win95 n. 32 bit extensions for a 16 bit
patch to an 8 bit operating system originally