Re: My doubts about Debian choice

> Þann 08-Feb-98 skrifar jfm2@club-internet.fr:
> >
> > And about Lyx it is unfinished work, but its merit to Debian people is
> > than it is related to LateX.
> >
>   Unix people, prefer LaTeX... it has nothing to do with Debian.

And they let other people use MS world so making Microsoft powerful
enough to be a threat on the existence of Unix.  In addition I don't
find this charitable towards sub-human^H^H^H^H^H^H non Unixers and non
programmers.

> > What I don't have forgotten is quite simply read the license: Caldera
> > Lite can be distributed freely, Suse does not allow commercial
> > distribution of its proprietary configuration tools but nothing seems
> > to oppose using non-proprietary sdoftwzare they package and about
> > Redhat it is entirely GPLed, lets repeat it a couple of times entirely
> > GPLEd, entirely GPLed.  Yes a commercial company can produce GPLed
> > software.
> >
> > So we can use this software.
> >
>   What on earth are you so upset about... are you on a personal crusade or
> something? :-)

"To drink muddy water if these is the water of truth for that the
camel is neded".  in So talked Zarathoustra by Friedrich Nietsche

If you say me than RedHat is a commercial distribution and that have
negative downsides I will agree: for instance RedHat could be shy to
include a free WYSYWYG Word Procesor in its distributions for fear of
detracting the sales of Apllixware.

If you say me than we cannot use RedHat due to licensing problems I
read my license and I see than this is wrong.

If you say me than we cannot use Caldera or Suse as base I will agree.
Caldera and Suse have proprietary install and config tools.  THat is
the reason I did not propose one of them instead of RedHat because
they are better than Redhat IMHO when targetting an end user.  If you
say me than we cannot use the packages made by Caldera or Suse of free
tools like Andrew or Xmgrok then the license proves than you are
wrong.

>   If you intend to use only the GPL'ed stuff of redhad, then changing to
> RedHad it just a moot discussion point, of yours or my personal preference.
> Because the libc6 package, that is provided by RedHat, is precisely the
> same package as provided by Debian... they both come from GNU.

In RedHat official RedHat includes three non-Redhat proprietary
software as an incentive (besides the paper doc) for people buying it:
the MetroX server, the BRU backup software and Real-Audio (for sending
and receiving voice and imge over the Internet).  _ALL_ the reamining
is free (well not XV obviously :-).  In particular the tools than
RedHat develops for making their distribution user friendly are GPLed.
So we can use them.  In fact the CheapBytes disks are direct copies of
Redhat were the three softs mentionned above have been removed.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

===
===