Re: My doubts about Debian choice

Þann 10-Feb-98 skrifar jfm2@club-internet.fr:

> An now I will explain why I want SEUL _fast_.  The rest (my resistance
> to Debian) is only a consequence than I believe Debian is not the
> shortest path.

  That's understandable... but the only thing, that really is RH in
what would be used from RH, is the rpm.  And, AFAIK, we'll be using it
as well as dpkg.  Most of the others think that starting with Debian
is the fastest way to get started.

> Is that a possibility?  Yes.
  No, it isn't.

  I understand your concerns, but understand that the people who are
using Windows NT, are the people who previously used PC's and discovered
that it wasn't enoough.

  It may well be that Bill Gates, calls his system a New Technology, but
it really isn't.  And as a server system, sorry... nobody with decent
technical knowledge would put it up.  You put it up in places, where there
is little need for security or stability, and where you don't want to
place adminstrators... small companies.  These places would never have
bought Unix anyway.

  Even on Alpha, Windows NT is just a poor mans tool, with good looking
frame.  And it doesn't match a Sun or SGI Servers or Workstations at any
level.

> Now I pose an hypothesis: at presnt times Debian is less user friendly
> than RedHat.  Please do not start telling me than Debian is better or
> more integrated, I concede on this, I am speaking about user
> friendliness.  Accept my hypothesis and follow me.

  I wouldn't dream on counter argueing that... because its true, AFAIK.

  Your arguements are very good... and to the point.

  Wether we choose to go from RH, or from Debian is not really a question
of user-friendlyness.  It's a question of the system layout.  What version
of Init, we'll start with, the place and position of programs both system
and user.

  The user friendly software, wether they are Debian, RH, Caldera or Suse
are all equally available at equal level whatever the Base.  And I agree
with you on, that we should take as much of the user friendly stuff from
the given distributions.

Orn Einar Hansen                         oe.hansen@oehansen.pp.se
                                          oehansen@daimi.aau.dk
                                        voice+fax; +46 035 217194