RE: My doubts about Debian choice

Þann 08-Feb-98 skrifar jfm2@club-internet.fr:

> In a free project nobody gives orders but it seems in Debian there are
> not even suggestions or something like periodic announcements about
> "Useful software we would like in Debian".

  There are frequent anouncements, about packages that need work in
Debian.

  Even if Debian has 200 people on the developers list, there are only
a few core people who are developers.  And some of these guys are actively
maintaining some 10-20 packages, or have their hands full.

> What I infer of Bruce's post is than the Debian project is so loosely
> coordinated than there is a definite possibility than we get only
> minimal help if any even if Bruce tells Debian developpers to help
> SEUL.  I also doubt of the value for our project of people who have
> been developping a distrib since 93 or 94 and despite this in four
> years nobody between these two hundred people has shown the slightest
> interest in packaging a WYSYWYG Word Processor.

  I think their disinterest in the thot stuff, is simply that it isn't
useful enough yet.  My personal choice is LyX, which is a very good
WYSIWYG Word Processor, and is available in Debian.

  What you seem to have forgotten, is the plain simple fact, that Red Hat,
Caldera and other distributions you mentioned are all commercial distributions.
Which simply means, that you can't use them as a base for you own distribution.
Debian is one of the most popular distributions, and on top of it, it is a
completely free distribution with commercial quality.

Orn Einar Hansen                         oe.hansen@oehansen.pp.se
                                          oehansen@daimi.aau.dk
                                        voice+fax; +46 035 217194
===