Introduction

Well, I suppose it is my turn  :)

My first exposure to computers was about 25 years ago when my uncle took
me to work with him one summer. He was a hardware tech for CMC and I
started fooling around with the CMC-4's and CMC-6's.

I eventually went into the military, saw a little of Europe and learned
more about computers. Most of the systems I saw in the Army were Data
General Nova and Eclipse machines and Digital PDP-8's and 11's. I too, was
a hardware tech.

I have been involved with computers continously since the early '80s and
much of that has been on Unix systems of one sort or another.  Most of my
life has been spent in hardware maintenance on large systems then later
in manufacturing and then in a design lab before I changed fields and am
now a Unix system administrator with a firm in San Francisco but my
jobsite is in San Jose. My current client is a semiconductor manufacturer
and the company network spans the US, Europe, and Asia.

I discovered Linux in '94 when looking for an OS to provide basic ISP
services at low cost for a rural community. I was running OS/2 at the
time, was having a rough go with FreeBSD and discovered Linux on Usenet.
Linux solved my harware support problems and I really liked the community
of users that it was attracting.

I can script most shells, I have written some C, hacked up other people's
perl, and fooled around a bit with python.  I have dabbled in tcl/Tk
enough to know that I like it but have not spent more than a few hours
with it.  My stongest programming skills have always been the user
interface and making it "bullet proof" is usually a very early concern
with things that I write.

There is a lot on my plate, like the other leaders, and I intend to start
delegating pieces some parts of distrib to interested individuals as they
show themselves :)  I already have a job or two in mind for a couple of
you.

I see my job as a coordinator, sanity checker, tester, and yeah, I will
even be coding too. So lets get to work, we have a lot to do!

George Bonser
http://www.debian.org

===
===