Re: Comments please

Þann 28-Jan-98 skrifar George Bonser:

> Rather than making large investments of scarce resources to reinvent
> wheels, can we invest our resources in shaping wheels currently under
> development? Can we adopt and modify already invented wheels UNTIL we get
> larger?

  That's not a bad idea... but meanwhile, we need to get the ball rolling,
right?

> I think it is not only prudent but probably key to our survival to do so.
> We can get on board other projects, not within Debian or the Debian
> community.  Can a person be dispatched to Gnome rather than stand around
> waiting for Gnome to be released?

  Are we that interested in gnome?

  I've taken a look at it, and so far I've discovered that the release I found
on the gnome home site, is old.  It's at least revisions older than GTK and
Guile, because there are function calls made to 'gdk_font_free' which doesn't
exist, but a 'gdk_font_unref' does exist, which is also rhimes with the
opposite function 'gdk_font_ref'... the version I was able to acquire of Gnome
is full of mismatches like this, and I was able to get a partially running
'phaser_chess' by correcting them, but not much else.

  Is anyone familiar with the status of the Gnome project?

> I am sure that our current developers certainly are. WHo knows who will
> show up in the future.  Debian has a very strict policy for uploading.
> You must meet in person with another developer and you must show
> identification such as a passport, drivers license, or birth certificate.
> You must have PGP and have your key signed by other developers. You must
> PGP sign all uploads and if you are not on the maintainer keyring, your
> upload is rejected.  These are rather strict security measures.  We do not
> have enough people and are too scattered to duplicate them.  In that case,
> I suggest that 1) we trust the original source, 2) we trust the debian
> developers 3) we trust the diffs that our people submit.

  As the ball starts rolling, I think this is a measure SEUL will be forced to
duplicate, at least in part.  Debian suffered a lot of 'intent' damage, which
was the reason Bruce took the measure in question.  Personally, I think he was
a little late... though not too late.

Orn Einar Hansen                         oe.hansen@oehansen.pp.se
                                          oehansen@daimi.aau.dk
                                        voice+fax; +46 035 217194