Re: Plan of action for dev-install

On Wed, 28 Jan 1998, George Bonser wrote:

> Do we intend to support a non-desktop configuration?

I don't see this as a priority.

> Are we to be CDROM only?

Testing will probably be other than CDROM e.g. zip.

> Do we install basic networking and allow FTP install?

This is a good question because I think we are already installed if we
have networking up.

> Back to an X-less install.  Will that be a supported configuration? WIll
> we have scripted configuration in addition to / instead of GUI

Again I don't see this as a priority.

> configuration for basic services? If GUI only, to what extent?  How does
> the new newt/whiptail interface look compared to the old dialog?

What's whiptail?

> 1) text-based server
> 2) user desktop
> 3) network admin desktop
> 4) software developer
> ... you get the idea

2 for sure.  What's the difference between 4 and 2? What's 3?  Who wants
1?

I think the apps and distrib people will have much more to say about
this.

> I agree, the users should not be compiling kernels and we should not
> encourage them to do so.

I'll be impressed if the one of the off the shelf kernel works on my PC.

> > 3) Partitionning.
> >
> > At DOS level I want a front end for the preliminary phases so the FIPS
> > phase and the Linux booting are fully integrated.
>
> COMPROMISE: fibs the dos partition, create a linux swap partition. Make a
> dos or ext2 filesystem in the swap partition. Use that as the loop device
> file on install, once it is loaded you can mkswap that partition to
> destroy it and mkfs the linux partition and continue on with the install.

It is worth considering that a user has a Linux zip disk and goes to the
public library's computer to do work in Linux.  The user does not alter
the library's machine.  Later tkes the zip disk to a friends to demo
SEUL.

> NOTE: I can provide uucp via TCP for anyone intersted.  Allows you to
> quicky connect to the internet, grab your mail and news and hang up no
> matter where you are in the world.

Jean-Francois, how does this sound to you?

> > 7)  X setup.

George, thanks for the S.u.S.E tip.  I am however fascinated by the irony
of using information that is available from a MicroSoft Windows
installation.  I can't remeber what big technical breakthrough Windows95
was supposed to be.  I do remember that there were proud that it
was able to work with virtually every piece of hardware known and
they introduced PnP.  It looks like the info should be freely available
to us.

Regards,

===
===