SEUL-Leaders: SEUL-faq v0.01

Hello there. I have now answered some of the faq questions.
I will continue to update the faq and send newer versions as
they occur. As usual, please mail me if you have additions,
removals and changes.

I cannot join you tonight, unfortunately.

See you later.
                   SEUL FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
                           (with answers!)
                            version 0.1

Note that the SEUL FAQ is currently under constructions and will therefore
change often. The first stable release of the FAQ will be version 1.0

This FAQ is intended for Linux users interested with the SEUL project, either
out of idle curiosity or because they wish to join in the development effort.
A separate document will be written to introduce non-Linux users to SEUL
(and Linux). See Appendix A for further information. FAQs with more specific
information are also listed in Appendix A.

 Section 0. Licence
 Q1.1 Before I even consider the SEUL project, how will SEUL software
      be licenced?

 Section 1.  Introduction and General Information
 Q1.1 What is SEUL?
 Q1.2 Why is SEUL needed?
 Q1.3 What is so hard about Linux?

 Section 2. Target Audience.
 Q2.1 Who is the SEUL User?
 Q2.2 Why would these users want to use Linux?
 Q2.3 How can these users be convinced to use SEUL?
 Q2.4 Why should these users be targetted?
 Q2.5 What use is SEUL to experienced Linux users?
 Q2.6 What platforms do the users use?
 Q2.7 Why support Linux only instalation?
 Q2.8 Why support UMSDOS instalation?
 Q2.9 Why support Linux instalation with other OSs?

 Section 3. Areas of improvement.
 Q3.1 What is wrong with what exists?
 Q3.2 How can instalation be improved?
 Q3.3 How can configuration be improved?
 Q3.4 How can help be improved?

 Section 4. Distribution.
 Q4.1 Why have a distribution instead of just writing more and better
      utilities and applications?
 Q4.2 Why not base SEUL on another distribution?
 Q4.3 How will SEUL be distributed?
 Q4.4 How will the software be packaged?
 Q4.5 When will SEUL be released?

 Section 5. Software Issues.
 Q5.1 What functionalities do we want to provide?
 Q5.2 What tools do we use/develop to provide those functions?
 Q5.3 What language will SEUL be written in?
 Q5.4 What applications and utilities will be included?
 Q5.5 Why not just include everything?
 Q5.6 In what format will the software be distributed?
 Q5.7 What is so hard about compiling programs?
 Q5.8 What is so hard about compiling the Kernel?

 Section 6. Hardware Issues.
 Q6.1 What hardware platforms will SEUL support?
 Q6.2 Why support networked machines?
 Q6.3 Why support standalone machines?

 Section 7. People.
 Q7.1 Who can be involved in SEUL?
 Q7.2 What about other projects and initiatives, can they be involved?
 Q7.3 Are there any initiatives to work with other groups?
 Q7.4 Are there any initiatives to share the SEUL efforts with other
      distributions?
 Q7.5 Just who is coordinating SEUL development?

 Section 8. Development Groups
 Q8.1 What are development groups?
 Q8.2 What are the development groups?
 Q8.3 Who are heading the development groups?
 Q8.4 How can I join one of these groups?

 Section 9. Public Relations
 Q9.1 How will SEUL be marketted?
 Q9.2 How can people be convinced to use Linux?
 Q9.3 What about the myths regarding Linux. How might they be dispelled?
 Q9.4 When will SEUL be released to the general public?

 Appendix A.  Sources and Resources
 QA.1 Is there a SEUL website?
 QA.2 Is there a SEUL mailing list?
 QA.3.  Are there any IRC meetings?
 QA.4 Are there other faqs?
 QA.5 Is there anyone I can email for more information?

 Appendix B. FAQ Release History.

Section 0. Licence
 Q1.1 Before I even consider the SEUL project, how will SEUL software
      be licenced?

 Question 1.1.  Before I even consider the SEUL project, how will SEUL software
                be licenced?

 All software specifically written for the SEUL project will be GPL. This means
 the software is free to use and distribute. Other software packages included
 with SEUL may have different licences, but those directly included with SEUL
 will be free to use (though maybe not free to change or other freedoms
 offered by the GPL.)

Section 1.  Introduction and General Information

 Q1.1 What is SEUL?
 Q1.2 Why is SEUL needed?
 Q1.3 What is so hard about Linux?

Question 1.1.  What is SEUL?

Simple User-End Linux, or SEUL is both an initiative to create a distribution
of Linux that is simple to use, and the name of the distribution itself.

The SEUL distribution is intended to be easy to install, configure, and use,
as well as provide the facilities for all manners of uses of Linux, such as
network support, productivity applications, and games.

Question 1.2.  Why is SEUL needed?

Question 1.3.  What is so hard about Linux?

Section 2. Target Audience.

 Q2.1 Who is the SEUL User?
 Q2.2 Why would these users want to use Linux?
 Q2.3 How can these users be convinced to use SEUL?
 Q2.4 Why should these users be targetted?
 Q2.5 What use is SEUL to experienced Linux users?
 Q2.6 What platforms do the users use?
 Q2.7 Why support Linux only instalation?
 Q2.8 Why support UMSDOS instalation?
 Q2.9 Why support Linux instalation with other OSs?

Question 2.1.  Who is the SEUL User?

Question 2.2.  Why would these users want to use Linux?

Question 2.3.  How can these users be convinced to use SEUL?

Question 2.4.  Why should these users be targetted?

Question 2.5.  What use is SEUL to experienced Linux users?

Question 2.6.  What platforms do the users use?

Question 2.7.  Why support Linux only instalation?

Question 2.8.  Why support UMSDOS instalation?

Question 2.9.  Why support Linux instalation with other OSs?

Section 3. Areas of improvement.

 Q3.1 What is wrong with what exists?
 Q3.2 How can instalation be improved?
 Q3.3 How can configuration be improved?
 Q3.4 How can help be improved?

Question 3.1.  What is wrong with what exists?

Question 3.2.  How can instalation be improved?

Question 3.3.  How can configuration be improved?

Question 3.4.  How can help be improved?

Section 4. Distribution.

 Q4.1 Why have a distribution instead of just writing more and better
      utilities and applications?
 Q4.2 Why not base SEUL on another distribution?
 Q4.3 How will SEUL be distributed?
 Q4.4 How will the software be packaged?
 Q4.5 When will SEUL be released?

Question 4.1.  Why have a distribution instead of just writing more and better
      utilities and applications?

There are several problems that not specifying a distribution for SEUL to work
with will cause:

 1. Locations of files: Many distributions deposit configuration files in
    different locations. Having the user specify their locations goes against
    the SEUL purpose. Applications (such as instalation/configuration
    utilities) which need to know these locations must know where the files
    are, and thus must be distribution specific in order to keep within the
    SEUL mission.

Question 4.2.  Why not base SEUL on another distribution?

Question 4.3.  How will SEUL be distributed?

Question 4.4.  How will the software be packaged?

Question 4.5.  When will SEUL be released?

Section 5. Software Issues.

 Q5.1 What functionalities do we want to provide?
 Q5.2 What tools do we use/develop to provide those functions?
 Q5.3 What language will SEUL be written in?
 Q5.4 What applications and utilities will be included?
 Q5.5 Why not just include everything?
 Q5.6 In what format will the software be distributed?
 Q5.7 What is so hard about compiling programs?
 Q5.8 What is so hard about compiling the Kernel?

Question 5.1.  What functionalities do we want to provide?

Question 5.2.  What tools do we use/develop to provide those functions?

Question 5.3.  What language will SEUL be written in?

SEUL is not a single program, but an entire distribution, so its many
parts may be programmed in many different languages. The existing
utilities and applications which are absorbed into SEUL are written
in many languages. The utilities written specifically for SEUL will
be written in different languages, depending upon the needs of the
various development groups. Each group may make a different decision
based on different needs. Currently the various SEUL specific utilities
are being written in one or more of the following languages:

C/C++
tcl/tk

Question 5.4.  What applications and utilities will be included?

Any utility or application might be included in the distribution. Several
utilities will be written specifically for certain aspects of the SEUL
distribution or to handle problems which have not been solved yet.
Other utilities and applications will be chosen by the
"Application/Utility Selection Development Group". See Appendix A,
"Sources and Resources" for a document describing the included
utilities and applications (when it becomes available.)

Question 5.5.  Why not just include everything?

There are several reasons that not every utility and application will
be included:

 o Included utilities must be stable.

Question 5.6.  In what format will the software be distributed?

All software will be distributed at least in binary format. Source for
the binaries may be included. Even the Kernel will be supplied in
compiled form.

Question 5.7.  What is so hard about compiling programs?

Binaries are the preferred distribution format because they allow the
user to ignore the various problems which may come up in distribution:

 o Missing statically linked libraries.
 o Directory structure problems.
 o Missing code libraries.

The binaries will be accompanied with the necesary dynamically linked
libraries which will be installed if necesary.

These problems may not be that important to experienced Linux users, those who
have experience in compiling software. The problems are formidable to
those with less, or no, experience. Since SEUL is intended to be simple
to use the user should not have to worry about the compile problems.

Question 5.8.  What is so hard about compiling the Kernel?

Although the kernel should be able to compile without any problems, there
are several reasons it should be made unnecesary to compile the Kernel:

 o It is very time consuming, which means it is not user friendly.
 o CD-ROMS are large enough to hold all of the compiled kernels we want.

Section 6. Hardware Issues.

 Q6.1 What hardware platforms will SEUL support?
 Q6.2 Why support networked machines?
 Q6.3 Why support standalone machines?

Question 6.1.  What hardware platforms will SEUL support?

Question 6.2.  Why support networked machines?

Question 6.3.  Why support standalone machines?

Section 7. People.

 Q7.1 Who can be involved in SEUL?
 Q7.2 What about other projects and initiatives, can they be involved?
 Q7.3 Are there any initiatives to work with other groups?
 Q7.4 Are there any initiatives to share the SEUL efforts with other
      distributions?
 Q7.4 Just who is coordinating SEUL development?

Question 7.1.  Who can be involved in SEUL?

Anyone! SEUL covers all aspects of Linux, and general computer use. The project
has need of Web designers, documenters, translators, coders, designers, etc.
You name it. Even if you are interested in following the project and
perhaps using the end products, your input is greatly appreciated.

Question 7.2.  What about other projects and initiatives, can they be involved?

The SEUL team is committed to working with existing and future projects.
If there are other projects which can contribute to SEUL, or if SEUL can
contribute to other projects, we are interested.

Question 7.3.  Are there any initiatives to work with other groups?

Question 7.4.  Are there any initiatives to share the SEUL efforts with other
               distributions?

All software created by the SEUL group is GPL, which means that any of the
other distributions may pick up the elements of SEUL which they deem
usefull. The purpose of SEUL is not just to provide an easier to manage
distribution, but also to help improve ALL distributions and Linux setups.

Question 7.5. Just who is coordinating SEUL development?

See "Section 8. Development Groups", below.

Section 8. Development Groups

 Q8.1 What are development groups?
 Q8.2 But what are the development groups?
 Q8.3 Who are heading the development groups?
 Q8.4 How can I join one of these groups?

Question 8.1.  What are development groups?

The project of SEUL is broken down into smaller, sub-projects, which will
be managed by smaller groups. Each group will control certain components
of the system. Co-operation between the groups will be very important
in order to ensure that the various groups are not overlapping functionality.

Question 8.2.  What are the development groups?

The development groups include (* denotes planned, but not existing, groups):

 * Application/Utility Selection
 * Configuration
   Help/Documentation
 * Instalation
 * Promotion
   Web Site

Question 8.3.  Who are heading the development groups?

Help/Documentation: Ken Duck (twoducks@globalserve.net)
Web site: Omega (omega@aracnet.com) and
          Juhana Siren (Juhana.Siren@oulu.fi)

Question 8.4.  How can I join one of these groups?

To join one of the above groups email the development head of the group.

If you have a sugestion of a development group to add, or would like
to join a group for which a development head is not listed, contact:

       seul-leaders@txcc.net

To see the progress of the groups see "Appendix A. Sources and Resources"
below.

Section 9. Public Relations

 Q9.1 How will SEUL be marketted?
 Q9.2 How can people be convinced to use Linux?
 Q9.3 What about the myths regarding Linux. How might they be dispelled?
 Q9.4 When will SEUL be released to the general public?

Question 9.1.  How will SEUL be marketted?

Question 9.2.  How can people be convinced to use Linux?

Question 9.3.  What about the myths regarding Linux. How might they be dispelled?

Question 9.4.  When will SEUL be released to the general public?

 QA.3 Are there any IRC meetings?
 QA.4 Are there other faqs?
 QA.5 Is there anyone I can email for more information?

Question A.1.  Is there a SEUL website?

The SEUL home page is located at http://www.seul.txcc.net/ and is
maintained by:
  Omega (omega@aracnet.com) and
  Juhana Siren (Juhana.Siren@oulu.fi)

 1. General project list: seul-project
      Mail to majordomo@txcc.net with no subject and the following text:
        subscribe seul-project your@email.address

Other mailing lists will be added as the project progresses and expands.

Question A.3.  Are there any IRC meetings?

IRC meetings between development groups may be arranged on a per-group
basis. These meetings will be announced when they start.

Question A.4.  Are there other faqs?

The related faqs are (* denotes unwritten but planned faqs)