Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 01:14:08 -0500
From: "G. Sumner Hayes" <sumner@collegium.adsl.net.cmu.edu>
To: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com>,
Subject: Re: pre-2.1.90..

Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com> wrote:

> I just put a pre-90 on ftp.kernel.org, and I'm happy to report that Davem
> seems to have found and fixed the TCP performance problem, which means
> that the code-freeze for 2.2 is going to go into effect shortly..

Looks good here; TCP performance is up.  I've only done a once-over, though,
and haven't had a chance to benchmark against pre-2.1.89 numbers.

> pre-90 does a few other minor things, like for example getting rid of
> kerneld because the new kmod thing is a lot simpler in many ways. Let's
> see what the reaction to that is, but I'm fairly certain that this was a
> major good thing: I've personally never liked kerneld, but kmod seems to
> be a much nicer and more controlled way of handling the same issues that
> kerneld tried to do.

Works fine here.

The scheduler hack seems to be a win, subjectively, but I have no timings to
back up that feeling.

Some compilation issues with 2.1.89 have been fixed, too.

Overall, this seems like a big winner.

-Sumner

--
rage, rage against the dying of the light

-