"developer services" development update

For the last few weeks I've been hacking on dev1 here trying to get all the
various SEUL developer services (cvs, mail, web, etc) both integrated and
separated.</paradox>  What I really mean is that everything is well on its
way to becoming a unified system, where everything is properly integrated,
but in a manner such that things can be split off as necessary, for new
hosts.

For instance, if things go as planned, cran (or it's equiv) will be running
majordomo, using belegost simply for bulk_mailer and mail handling.  This
will make having <user>@seul.org almost a trivial matter of maintaining
.forward files, plus all the majordomo maintainence can be done on a central
machine without permissions worries (other than those imposed by overly
paranoid majordomo...).

As of last night, I now have the repository set up with appropriate CVS traps
so that the public_html tree is now truly auto-updating.  Any commit into the
repo will automatically update a development copy of the tree, which is
currently virthosted as www-test.seul.org.  A rtag (release tag) to the
public_html module will do an update of the real tree, which is currently
running as test.seul.org.

The other part of the process that's working is the group documentation
updating.  Any file checked into a directory in the repository with 'doc' in
the pathname is automatically copied, on commit, to the public_html tree.
This allows people to read all project documentation without people having to
have perms to the public_html module.  Note that this also includes things
like doc/ subdirectories from various packages that we put under CVS control.
This may or may not be a good thing, that remains to be decided.  Comments on
that would be welcome.

The next few things I'll be implementing are a user (developer) database, to
deal with mail forwarding and so on, and permissions in the CVS repository.
Luka and I have found out the hard way that normal filesystem permissions
just don't cut it, so I'm going to develop a script that (dis)allows commits
to files based on where they are and who the person is.  We can create
arbitrary groups, with each directory granting any number of groups write
access.

I'll also be working on splitting the e-mail archives into weekly or monthly
sub-archives, and getting the search mechanisms to deal with this without
getting too hosed.  Anyone with experience in MHonArc or (web)glimpse out
there?

Oh yeah, by the end of the week I should be able to hand out test accounts on
the machine (it's behind a 33.6 PPP, though) so you can all try things out.
Ken, that'd include you, with your helpd code... :)

Anyway, back to work.  (oh, and I suppose I should do my calc homework, too)

TTYL,
    Omega

      Erik Walthinsen - SEUL Project infrastructure/system architecture
        __
       /  \           omega@sequent.com         Work: (503)578-5314
      |    | M E G A  omega@omegacs.net         Home: (503)281-4281
      _\  /_          psu12113@odin.cc.pdx.edu  Majoring in CS

       SEUL: Simple End-User Linux - creating a Linux distribution
     http://www.seul.org/            for the average home/office user

===
SEUL-Leaders list, seul-leaders-request@seul.mit.edu
===