Re: SEUL: X/Berlin/db, and reinventing wheels

Luka (Peter) wrote:

> 1. there are two things we should not be relying on when creating seul:
>    software that is unstable/incomplete, and software that is not "free"
>    (gpl, berkley, or equivalent).

Definitely.  If we want to get this out this year, Berlin is not the way
to go.

> 2. as obvious from the discussion going on, the seuldb concept is still
>    shaky, and does not necessarily need to be core functionality for us to
>    start on useful development. (especially if things get implemented the way
>    i would like - which means the db can be added later with minimal changes
>    to software to use it.)

Question:  Were you under the impression that the Berlin Registar is
integrated with the Berlin GUI itself, or is it a separate deal that can
be used separate from their GUI?  If it's separate, it might be just the
thing for us.  After all, it *is* in alpha now, and hopefully it will be
done in a few months.

I've mentioned similar things before, but I would support a registry
only if ALL of the following were true:

1.  It would keep track of exactly which program added exactly which
entries to the registry, enabling #2 and #3 (so we don't have another
Doze registry fiasco)
2.  There would be a provided utility to nuke all entries made by any
given application (so we don't have another Doze registry fiasco)
3.  Another utility to copy the entire registry, any part of it, or all
entries made by any given application to a file, and the ability to
restore that file to the same or a different computer (so we don't have
another Doze registry fiasco)
4.  Has to be FAST (so we don't have another Doze registry fiasco)
5.  Would need to be somewhat small, only used for things that NEED to
be in a central registry, and well organized (so we don't have another
Doze registry fiasco)