Re: SEUL: X/Berlin/db, and reinventing wheels

Erik Walthinsen wrote:

> I say stick with X.

Probably the best bet for now, unfortunately.  Even worse, when (if)
Berlin ever *is* complete and stable, it would be pretty pointless to
convert SEUL over to it.  If a SEUL user wanted to upgrade his system
and it replaced X with Berlin, there goes his (non-SEUL) apps...

> I think it'd be relatively easy to code something like this.  Use gdbm (since
> it exists, works, and is relatively simple), provide a simple set of library

gdbm?  Isn't that a little *too* simple?

> calls to deal with it, and we're set.  We can define a namespace for
> applications that can guarantee #1, and provide a control-panel component to

But if all apps have direct access to the gdbm library, couldn't they
call their names whatever they want?  I don't see a way to enforce a
namespace.  (This has to work with SEUL compliant apps besides the ones
we write.)

> control the contents of it, including merges and backups, etc.

Actually I was thinking something like Doze 3.x .INI files.  They're
quick, relatively straightforward, ASCII text, and allow two heirarchy
levels.

> Following the Doze idea a little, we'd have a registry for the whole system,
> then a registry for each user.  Or is that a bad idea and someone has a
> better one?  I think it'd work, besides, it's kinda what X does with resources
> anyway.

Ok.......then I guess we could set up a system so that a user could log
into any computer on the network and the registry would go with it?
That would be kind of sweet.