Re: SEUL: TurboLinux

   Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 10:33:07 -0700
   From: Dan Stromberg <strombrg@hydra.acs.uci.edu>
   Sender: owner-seul-project@mail.txcc.net

   jfm2@club-internet.fr wrote:

   >    From: "Pisani, Larry" <lpisani@modemmedia.com>
   >    Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 14:27:29 -0400
   >
   >    I'll download it when it's released and see how it flies.  Also, I'm
   >    planning to build another system in the next couple of weeks which I'll
   >    dedicate to testing out various distributions and apps.  So far I like
   >    the Redhat dist., I tried Debian and found it to be more confusing than
   >
   > Debian 1.2 or 1.3?  It would be great if someone posted a report about
   > 1.3 with a slant about how user friendly it is, not about how great it
   > is.

   I'm familiar with both Debian and Redhat.

   They aren't that different.

   The main differences are the install, the windowing environment, the
   development model, and the package management system.

   3) The development model
	   Debian is a loosely coordinated huge group of volunteers.  RH
	   is a small group with a "contrib" section.  Debian has an edge
	   here, and it is something that matters for SEUL.  Debian is
	   a non-profit group that actively encourages other projects to
	   derive from debian.  Redhat's a company that uses GPL.

   4) rpm vs dpkg (package management system)
	   These aren't very different.  rpm was patterned after dpkg.
	   rpm has broader acceptance outside of the core redhat/debian
	   projects, but there may be more debian packages anyway, because
	   of #3 above

I am not so sure about than there are more dpkg's than rpm's.  Because
a) About every distribution except Debian and Slack has converted to
RPM.  b) When you comb the internet you will find than most authors
have rolled an RPM but no DPKG.  Examples of this are Enlightenment,
the GIMP or the Essentia database.  Of course the Debian team produced
DPKGs of the above but, you get the newest and greatest version
somewhat later, if there are more RPMs than DPKGs (my belief) it will
be easier to ADAPT rpms to Seul than to CREATE dpkgs.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez