Re: SEUL: TurboLinux

> > I don't understand what you mean by that.
>
> By re-roll I mean `rpm --rebuild` with new spec files.  Add in the proper
> dependency information and simply rebuild them.  However, I think there will
> be few enough packages we won't already be modifying to some extent or
> another that we won't be doing very many simple re-rolls.
Talking about "rolling our own" and distributions:

Debain might be better if we are modifying packages, because due to its
open nature there is a much better chance that a package modified by SEUL
will enter the main Debian distribution, and maintained properly by the
original package maintainer.  This might prevent us having to "re roll"
packages everytime an upgrade comes out.

I must admit to not having used RH much, but my first impression is that
they have changed things too much(network config files for example).
Debian's package format is good (dselect not though...), so we can build
on that...

Another thing, relating to all the setup db, installation etc.  Though we
must make things simple for the end user, even to the point of telling
thing virtually nothing, it is important to leave info in such a way that
an experienced user can fix a problem quickly.

I tried to help a RH used over IRC once, who set one of his routes wrong
in the GUI app.  He did not know quite what he was doing, and if I could
only get him to edit the text file with the appropriate route statement,
there would be no problem, but as I did not know the file name, and asking
him to look around was useless so I was stuck...  Something to think about
anyway.

Cheers
Neilen