Re: SEUL: Debian versus RedHat and DPKG versus RPM

Agree with Jean-F's proposals.

The general perception, in this college, is that Debian has still a
long way to go and both experimented hackers and other novices will
recommend RedHat to anyone who is not up to waste a lot of time in
the tech aspects of the OS. Debian is still considered a technically
troublesome distrib. Slackware comes last in the easy of use queue.

A drawback might be that all RedHat developments will not be GPLed
but Debian's will be. In the future, that may imply a significative
difference for the SEUL-coders who, to keep up, will have to do a
larger man-hour-input if they choose RedHat. This is a strategical
issue. In the short term, RedHat may look more appealing but in the
long term Debian may be a better alternative due to GPL issues.

Finally, Debian is already in outer space and RedHat remains grounded
:-)

I'd suggest coders get together, write down pros & cons and do a
signed rank test, decide which one distrib. and go on.

Cheers,

	APS
----
Aldo-Pier Solari <solaris@searn.sunet.se>, Fish.Res.Gr./ULP
Home: http://segate.sunet.se/fish-ecology/aps/index.html
Oath:          'I will not fail those with whom I serve'
----