Re: SEUL: Debian versus RedHat and DPKG versus RPM

On Thu, 21 Aug 1997, Erik Walthinsen wrote:

>As you say, the package manager will only be heavily exercised - as it was
>designed to be - during upgrades and single-package installs after the fact.
>Because we will have a true package manager (vs. Slackware), this becomes
>much more of a trivial task.  Depending on how packages get their
>configuration into the system (via a registry-ish system, by dumping config
>files in a directory ala sysvinit, etc.), the process can almost completely
>be left up to the package manager.

One thing I noticed about Slackware is that it creates a little script in
a /install directory, although all that it normally does is run ldconfig,
or just do some basic configurations, we could probably use the idea to
out advantage, we would have a directory set aside from others where a
setup script would run and some files that run differently for different
for each install type, and from there it would run a 'first time'
configuration.  Then maybe in another directory, would be some information
for a setup program for the whole system.