Re: SEUL: What's so hard about Linux...

On 23 Aug 97,  john@win.bright.net <seul-project@seul.org>  wrote:

> And fragility.  Most people don't seem to have too much trouble installing
> Linux as long as everything goes perfectly smoothly.  The trouble comes
> when something out of the ordinary happens.

Yes, that's correct. The first 'horror chapter' is LILO.
Every single one I know (and they are *many* :-) has had a lot of
problems with with the boot sector and LILO.

When something goes wrong and the user panics, s/he'll install the
system all over again. But this won't solve LILO problems. Others
(and we get a step up, technically speaking -most people don't even
know how data in a disk is arranged, etc. -) will format the main
boot sector. Neither this will help. Some will start Linux (due to
LILO related problems) from a floppy (why from a floppy if the user
has a 'N' gigabyte HD ? :-).

LILO is definitely something for the coders to crunch :-)
Cheers,

	APS

----
Aldo-Pier Solari <solaris@searn.sunet.se>, Fish.Res.Gr./ULP
Home: http://segate.sunet.se/fish-ecology/aps/index.html
Oath:          'I will not fail those with whom I serve'
----