Re: SEUL: Idea for SEUL startup

> Hi there,
>
> 	I've just joined this mailing list, and I have a few ideas on how
> this distribution could become friendlier:
>
> 	1- Ditch sysvinit, write a new init.
> 		Why? When I was a newbie with Linux, i often wanted to
> 		start programs at bootup. But I had no clue on where to
> 		start. The /etc/rc.d (Slack, RH) and /etc/init.d (Debian)
> 		are still too complicated for a normal user to understand.
> 		I'm thinking of something like Windows, where it starts up
> 		something like a menu, and this menu program starts up
> 		everything thats in the folder "StartUp". Hide all the
> 		system init stuff, in a place where only the advanced user
> 		would be interested. Make this program look nice, with
> 		pretty little colors and menus (I've written a nice lib
> 		called libac which does the color and positioning job very
> 		well).

What you want is a nice GUI that will create the rc.d scripts. Not really
hard, since many things started up in there is standard stuff you can have
radio buttons for, and a simple "startup" folder for the rest.

> 	These ideas were originally for my own Linux distribution, but
> since I didn't have the time or expertise to do this (I'm 13, so I'm sorta
> busy and don't have that much experience with UNIX), it never got really
> far. I did have it working, including GCC & X, but without any of these
> ideas.
>
> 	I'd code these programs myself, only  if someone told me why I
> can't do two gets() or fgets() functions (the second just skips right by). Any ideas?

Are you using the same buffer, if so you need to convert \n to \0 before using it again.
Yes some of the function calls in C are not consistent.

> So, what do you guys think? I believe these would be good ideas, because
> if you really want to compete with the mainstream OS's, borrowing ideas
> from them is the only way to make it just as good.

I liked them. They are specific ideas that are trying to solve a small problem with linux.
These are the kind of things this mail list needs.
							B.T.