Re: SEUL: Auto-detecting hardware

On Thu, 7 Aug 1997, Dave Close wrote:

> > Linux will remain out of the
> > mainstream as long as it takes a week or two to get the machine doing the
> > things that Windows 95 does automatically the first time you flip the
> > switch and put in the CD that you just got in the mail from AOL.
>
> You got Win95 from AOL? I thought not. In fact, you probably got Win95
> from the manufacturer of your PC. The reason it doesn't have much
> trouble handling the hardware is that the manufacturer solved those
> problems for you. If you could get Linux from a manufacturer (and you
> can from a few small folks), you would not have hardware detection
> problems either.

I'm not retarded; I know you don't get Windows 95 from AOL.  I was
referring to a pre-installation of Windows 95 and a CD for setting up AOL
like the ones I get in the mail every so often.  My point was to suggest
that the people out there who are working on Linux are talented enough to
overcome lots of those snafus.

Gregory Fall (gmfall@engin.umich.edu)
University of Michigan
Department of Atmospheric, Oceanic, and Space Sciences
http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~gmfall