Re: SEUL: Documentation: info & postscript

On Sat, 9 Aug 1997, Dave Wreski wrote:

> 2.  With all the talk about GUI apps, etc, has anyone thought about simply
> using a web browser?  Whats wrong with having httpd running on all boxes,
> and using this as a backend for all configuration applications?  You could
> even use it as a replacement for GNUs 'info', and possibly a replacement
> for man pages as well..

When everything's burning to the ground around you, you sure don't want an
electrically controlled fire hydrant.  What if you want to read the
manpages to configure or fix X?  Or the web server?  THen you're stuck
with a useless idiotic system that bites the dust easily.  That's why I'm
rigging seuladmin to use BOTH X and ncurses, just in case X windows is the
thing that needs configuring(an oversight redhat made with their
control-panel, IMHO).  Also, having everything by HTTP would present
security holes for administration, and people'd be REALLY frustrated when
things got hairy and they couldn't get at their docs.  TTYL!

                            ---
                        Paul Anderson
		   paul @ geeky1.ebtech.net
    Author of Star Spek(a tongue in cheek pun on Star trek)
e-mail: starspek-request@lowdown.com with subscribe as the subject
I hear it's hilarious.               Maintainer of the Tips-HOWTO.
          http://www.netcom.com/~tonyh3/speck.html
           Linux: The choice of a GNU generation!