Re: SEUL: GUI Toolkits and desktops

   Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 11:22:37 -0800 (PST)
   From: "Erik Walthinsen (Omega)" <omega@sequent.com>

   On Tue, 2 Dec 1997, Simon Kinahan wrote:

   > I don't know if you guys know about this already, but the Gnome and KDE
   > groups, (www.gnome.org and www.kde.org) are both already working on nice
   > desktop environments for Linux. I see you plan to do the same, but that
   > your lists do not seem to contain any mention of either project.
   I didn't know about Gnome, thanx for the pointer!

   I just spent about a minute looking at their site, and I like what I see.
   It uses Gtk, which has many advantages: it's GPL'd, it appears to be quite
   popular, tcl/tk can be linked against it (meaning all those apps can be
   Gtk-like as well), etc.

The problem with Gtk is than it is still very buggy and in addition is
a moving target (recently they made an incompatible change).  So I
don't believe Gnome can be ready in time  for Linux 98.

KDE is based on Qt.  Qt is easy to program, very beautiful and it is
production quality.  Qt has a very liberal license but its owners
could one day change it.  And KDE would be left with a frozen library.
If KDE is the only victim this will not be a problem but there would
be a real one if KDE's example caused all the major X programs wer
rewritten for Qt.  So in the long term we should not use KDE.  But Kde
will be usable in 98.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez