Re: SEUL: SEOL Text EDITOR

George Bonser wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Jan 1998, DAVID B. TEAGUE wrote:
>
> > Guys -
> >
> > Come on!  TEXT EDITOR discussions are a deeply religious matter.  I even
> > have a hymn for my favorite editor, EMACS.  (I'll quote it, if anyone
> > asks to hear it. :) I was a vi user, and I still use vi when I am
> > compelled to do so.
>
> Right, both vi and emacs are wrong choices. If someone can come up with an
> editor >30K, I will consider it.  This editor must go on the install disk
> so that you can escape to a shell and make changes.

There are 2 reasons to clone edit.com
1 : It's naturally small -- ( 69886 Jul 11  1995 /dosc/msdos/edit.com )
    I have herd that unix generally compiles tighter code.  If we drop
    mose support and scroll bars it should come in way under 30K

2 : It should be "intuitive".
   I define intuitive as whatever you already know how to use.
   edit.com is the LCM ( Lowest Common Denominator ) of text editors.
   it's commands are a subset of nearly all popular DOS, Windows, OS/2
   and MAC Text editors, Word Processors and many other programs in
   other categories.  The current version follows the exact keybindings
   in the Windows 3.11 interface ( which are pretty much copied from
   the MAC and appear in OS/2 ... not to mention all the other versions
   of Windows. )

The keyboard shortcuts for popular commands should be the most common
  used and should be printed on the dropdown menus ( optional )
cut = ctrl+X or ( unsure of alternative )
copy = ctrl+C or ctrl+insert
past = ctrl+V or shift+insert

There should be a small help text ( don't ask ) that lists all the
keyboard shortcuts all the menu options and a brief description of what
each command means

"cut=like copy {see copy} except it also removes the selected text"
embedded in the code ( this would be < 1 K compressed ) so
you can learn this editor ( if you don't already know it ) BEFORE you
get to see your first man page.
   Why embedded ?  ledit ( cool name huh ? ) should be a single file in
 it's ELF state.

  I would even give it white text on a blue background,  I don't know
 how but this should translate to light text on dark background if it
 hits a monochrome monitor.
--
: "Through the firewall, out the router, down the T1, across the
: backbone, bounced from satellite, Nothing but net."