Re: SEUL: Proposition for a simplified kernel recompiling proced

On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Cyberdyn wrote:

> My question: is there a valid reason to make the debian package in the middle,
> just to turn around and install it on the same machine?

In my opinion, yes. Because the same script could be used to install an
updated kernel image file that we might want to ship to users if you give
it a different option.

WIth one option it would install a given kernel image with another option
it would make and install one.  Besides, if you look at make-kpkg, it is
pretty powerful.  Sure, we could write a replacement that does everything
that it does but we do not have to. There is a perfectly workable, tested,
known good program already in existance.  Why reinvent another wheel.
Also, if it lacks a feature we need, it is far better for the entire linux
community to improve an existing tool than to further fragment linux by
creating yet another that for the most part, duplicates one already in
existance.

George Bonser
http://www.debian.org