Re: SEUL: Proposition for a simplified kernel recompiling proced

On Wed, 4 Feb 1998, Rick wrote:

> I'm getting the idea you have been using this method yourself and haven't done
> a manual make in quite some time.  There's no need for an "un-make", you just
> boot with the previous kernel if there's a problem.  Ofcourse if you use kpkg
> you can't do that because it will replace the old kernel.

You are not following me ... I make a new kernel ... same kernel version
... say ... 2.0.29 only this time with multiprocessor support. I make and
install the modules.  This overwrites the modules in /lib/modules/2.0.29
and they are now incompatable with the old kernel.  If I attempt to boot
the old kernel, it will not work.

Simply doing a dpkg -i --force sowngrade <old-package> puts my modules
back and gets me into exactly the state that I was in before without
having to make the kernel over again.  In other words, it provides me with
a compact archive of the old kernel and its modules as a package that can
be reinstalled with a single command (or click from a GUI control panel).

George Bonser
http://www.debian.org