Re: SEUL: SEUL duplicating efforts?

Þann 14-Feb-98 skrifar Cyberdyn:

> No.  Setting up the mouse and keyboard are not a part of X config.  The mouse
> and keyboard are setup at the console config level.  You simply need to
> inform X that they exist and where they are which can be automated.  Ofcourse
> the exception would be keyboard variations but I don't think this poses a
> specail problem.

  Very good point.  We need to find a way to have X automatically recognize
the settings made for the console setup.  And perhaps, preferably, make it
even recognize the LANG setup.  In my current setup, I have to setup my
keyboard for the Console and for X... same applies for the mouse.

> There are ways around this, such as xvidtune.  Maybe lame but they are there.
>  If the user is forced into a basic server until his hardware is set to
> optimum config we should have little to no problem keeping them in a graphic
> environment.

  One way, I think would be preferrable.  Is to have the initial setup, one
that would be needed to start under MS-DOS... or during the boot.  Could
query the Video BIOS.  The Video BIOS comes from the manufacturer, and has
all the settings needed for the Card.

  Originally, I had an EGA monitor connected to my X Windows... as you know,
EGA isn't included, so this is what I did.  I went into MS-DOS, asked the
Video BIOS for the settings of 640x350, stored the register settings, and
then made my own driver to set it up in X... an ugly method, but since we
can't query the BIOS from Linux...

Orn Einar Hansen                         oe.hansen@oehansen.pp.se
                                          oehansen@daimi.aau.dk
                                        voice+fax; +46 035 217194