Re: SEUL: Text editors.

I'm done arguing about this. My point is not that there's no merit in your
idea of doing the edit.com port. But it's not priority 1 by a long way.
Hacking something that's already there is easier. The installation
process, as it stands, is 1,000,000 times as hard as using pico. The
edit.com idea isn't bad, but there are more immediate concerns.

> It may not be so much work now that I have tryed mcedit

I just tried it too. As a console editor, it's great. The only thing that
seems wierd is that it doesn't put the menus on top of the screen till you
click there (wierd, huh ? ) But the mouse support was nice (no other
console editor has good mouse support) I think it looks like a very strong
candidate as a console editor.

I'll write a serious review of it when I have more energy.

> ( the edit mode
> of Midnight Comander ).  This is a part of the masive 1.7 meg mc
> executeble

This is incorrect. I do rpm -qi and it tells me that mc takes up
about 773 meg. And about 270 of that can easily be deleated if we just
need the editor (/usr/lib/mc is a pile of tools for handling files as far
as I can tell, the editor is emodied in the 397k executable)

We would be left with a 500k editor. This is smaller than:

Pine
Joe
Vim
way smaller than emacs
smaller than micro-emacs

In other words, not that bad. Though smaller would be nicer.

> Objective ? ... Try this on for size.  KDE, GNOME, SEUL and a few other
> gropes have all come to the conclusion that ease of use means similar
> look and feel between apps.  Most of them are working on or planing to
> use X based editors that look and work like notepad.  Bill in one of his

If we really want consistency, we need the GUI editors to behave the same
way as our choice of console editor. BTW, that's one point to medit over
xe, since medit uses ALT-{key} to bring up the right menu.

In other words, if we're shooting for consistency, the thing to do is
choose a 'pair' of editors, not just one.

That's another issue I'll factor into my reviews next update.

-- Donovan