Re: SEUL: Stopping X

On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, Kevin Forge wrote:
> this idea keeps looking better. :)
> > > - ->> > I just found a brain dead solution that is so simple it escaped us
> > > all.
> > > - ->> > put 'startx' as the last line of '~/.bashrc'

Does it? Explain to me what the point of it was again??
This seems like a lot of trouble to go to for exactly the same effect
as using XDM, with the exception that we don't get a pretty login screen
and X has to be started and restarted when people log in and out.
Worst of all, it prevents a normal terminal login.
What if someone wants to play quake???
Do they have to start X, kill it forcibly, then tell some menu that they
want to drop to a shell?
yuk.
If I have missed some obvious benefit of all this, then will someone
please explain it to me really slowly in words of one or two syllables? :)

-Greg Basto(Heir to the throne of the Suicide King)