SEUL: UI ideas

When a computer OS starts up, unless a critical (system halting)
error occurs, the user shouldn't be informed.

Doesn't that sound wrong. =]

What I mean is; In win95, the startup screen appears and you are given
a text message - "*.vxd is missing, blah blah blah, rerun setup". I
think it would be cool if start-up procedures where re-written so that
they outputted all their non-critical errors (as well as success!
statements) to a bootlog.

It would be very very cool if this bootlog was .html or something, and
this was the standard. This way the offending startup item could have
a link to more help, a link to a local configuration bin to fix the
error etc.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

This may already to a feature of linux but...

When the first install of a system is done, the user finds themselves
in xwindows 640x480x16xEasy to use interface.

Here they create a hardware profile - I'm not sure if such a system
already exists -. You give it the computer a name (also support
templates etc), then add in hardware and protocols to the profile.
After this the system compiles up the the system, with all the MS
style info boxes popping up occasionally, a good big status bar etc.

(This bit I _know_ linux has:) Now you create user profiles, with
window manager, network connections, passwords, dialups, pgp,
scheduled events etc.

Anyway, I think that would be cool.

And all in X, and all real easy to use, and all done so that a bogan
can buy seul in a cardboard box, push the cd into his computer and
start doing linux.

Later,
Ben
\|/ Ben Nolan - b.nolan@softhome.net \|/