Re: SEUL: Text editor site pretty much done now

Hi. The XView Clients editor, and Cooledit have been added to the reviews.
For the record, the following have been reviewed carefully:

Console:

McEdit, (good but big at the moment)
Pico, (good but not quite free. Details about license on page.)
Joe, (pretty good. ABout 200k for jpico alone. More powerful/configurable
than pine/ee)
Jed, (good but big; about 1MB  )
ee (pretty good. Very small)

At the moment, ee and jpico both look good. What's nice about joe is that
it can be modified pretty easily  (with a config file) . With pico, we
really can only modify it so much before it's not "really" pico. And by
that time, we're violating the license.

McEdit would be good if we could build the editor without the other stuff.
As it stands, the executable is about 397k.

GUI:

Cooledit, (pretty good)
Xcoral, ( buggy. Repeatable errors.)
XView, (Good, but interface is unconventional, and lacks easy
to find keybindings. No configure menu)
Medit, (OK. but lacks word wrap)
Xenon (lacks wordwrap and easy configurability)
TkDesk Editor (Good, and relatively small)

I'd say Cooledit and TkDesk are good contenders. Cooledit is the more
powerful of the two. TkDesk is "bare bones" but good enough. Maybe ship
both, one as a 'power' editor, and one as a basic editor.

Note that I tried building Nedit with Lesstif, and let's just say that it
wasn't the same...

Most of the ones reviewed are decent at the least. Again, if anyone thinks
there's another editor I really should include, mail me. Feel free to
check out the site:

http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/linux/editors/

-- Donovan --