Re: SEUL: Common SEUL/e-linux tools needed

On Thu, 8 Jan 1998, Erik Walthinsen (Omega) wrote:

> Check out the SimOS project, part of Stanford Flash:

My.  I had no idea that anyone was that far along.

Although the SGI computers are unfortunately about as unlike an x86 system
as it is possible to get and still look vaguely like a desktop computer,
their simulation of hardware devices would be just unimaginably useful.

My guess is they use SGI because it's a very, very simple system.  MIPS
has been the standard for architecture classes (at least where I come
from) for quite some time now.

> It doesn't do x86 on either side yet, but there apparently has been some
> interest, so maybe we could find the right people and get the rest of the
> machine layers written?

I doubt that we could do it as a layer, because the underlying hardware is
so different.  But I bet we could modify their code to look like an x86
without too much trouble.

Their goal seems to be a little different from ours.  Do you remember in
computer-engineering classes, when they would have you write assembly code
for their virtual CPU's?  This looks like a grand scale one of those...
with all the debugging info, stack traces, the works.  Ours (at least the
final form) would probably NOT have this.

I don't like to see that they have a 1000x slowdown, though.  Maybe it is
written entirely in Visual Basic?  :)