Re: SEUL: Common SEUL/e-linux tools needed

On Sat, 10 Jan 1998, Erez Nir wrote:

> Of course from my proposal, existing RPM and DEB will not install with this
> format, but if we make a good developer tool for generating these packages
> it will be easy for either one of the people involved with the specific
> distribution or the developer to generate the package.

It's a bad idea.  The idea of ANY new package format should be thrown out
the instant it's conceived.  There's already WAY too many.  Also, such a
system would be significantly CRIPPLED when compared with RPM.  It would
have no dependancy checking, it would be incapapble of keeping track of
what's installed, it would be incapable of deleting packages for you, you
could never know which file belonged to which package, etc.

> 5. I believe we should designate a few generic platforms to work on and
> start from there.

AAMOF, we're working on one platform - x86.  It's a HUGE job to create a
distribution for a platform that we don't even the hardware for!  TTYL!

                            ---
                        Paul Anderson
		   paul @ geeky1.ebtech.net
    Author of Star Spek(a tongue in cheek pun on Star trek)
e-mail: starspek-request@lowdown.com with subscribe as the subject
I hear it's hilarious.               Maintainer of the Tips-HOWTO.
          http://www.netcom.com/~tonyh3/speck.html
	     When in doubt, use a bigger mallot.